THE MUSEUM
 

   
 

The Musical Instrument Museum of Markneukirchen is housed in the Paulus-Schlössel since 1942, a townsman’s home of the late baroque period, built in 1784.
The museum was founded in 1883 through a trade society at the initiative of the teacher and organist Paul Apian-Bennewitz, who was anxious to create an educational establishment for musical instrument makers.

With over 3400 musical instruments from all over the world, the Museum houses resources unequaled on its scale, of interest to both amateurs and professional musicians. The many forms of the musical instruments, the richness of ideas, and the craftsmanship of the instrument makers fascinate the beholder.  There are numerous instruments which document the development of instrument making in the region of Vogtland as well as all over the world.
Some interesting curiosities illustrate the skills of the instrument makers; thus, one can see a tuba with a 1.02 m diameter bell an overall length of 4.65 m which was crafted as a masters degree examination piece.

The largest accordion in the world was made in Zwota, a village near Markneukirchen for an english performing group, the Doorlays. Six girls played it in 1938/39 and afterwards sent it back for repair. After the beginning of the war the girls never reported back so in 1967 it was given to the museum. next >>>