Schweitzer copies

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
Nylandsted

Schweitzer copies

Beitrag von Nylandsted »

Dear All!
Thousands of so called Schweitzer-copy violins were produced in Markneukirchen in the years around 1900, and many of them are still being used. Some of them are very good violins and some of them are not. There are differences in the way they were made - some are without corner blocks and some have the back fixed with dowels. Is it known which factory or factories in Markneukirchen produced these violins, and how they were produced?

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Schweitzer copies

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hello Mr Nylandsted Larsen,

Schweitzer violins can be found in various catalogues, here are two examples: Max Adler from Erlbach offered four different models from 24 to 36 Reichsmark. The Schuster brothers offered Schweitzer violins from 15 to 35RM. So these are probably all instruments of simple to medium quality. Btw., I have not been able to find any Schweitzer violins in catalogues before 1900.

These Schweitzer- instruments were certainly not made by just one company. Unfortunately, there are hardly any records of who supplied whom. The web of production and trade of instruments has hardly been worked out so far, that would be a worthwhile work for a (future) scientist!

My maternal grandfather supplied violins to the dealers Schuster and Kruse - depending on the model ordered. Unfortunately, I can't say whether Schweitzer was among them. There were an unbelievable number of violin makers here and in Schönbach/Luby and Klingenthal who were just waiting for the next request from the dealers. If Schweitzer was in demand, then Schweitzer were made.

Many greetings

Udo Kretzschmann

Nylandsted

Re: Schweitzer copies

Beitrag von Nylandsted »

Hello Udo Kretzschmann!
Thank you very much for your interesting answer. I certainly agree that it would be very interesting to work out the web of production of the Schweitzers; although they are somewhat looked down on they have been, and still are, used by many students and amateurs and even professionals. Did a company like Max Adler have its own production of instruments or were all the instruments produced in small workshops? If so, from where did the small workshops get the wood for the instruments? Do you know why some of the Schweitzers have the back fixed to the blocks with dowels and some have not?
Thank you in advance!

Antworten