Help to find the origins of a violin

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
gcamps

Help to find the origins of a violin

Beitrag von gcamps »

Hello I am writing from Argentina, I would like if you could help me to identify the origins
and age of my old violin, it has a logo at the button but I cant found it, we think that it
is a german saxony violin because almost all ancient violins arrived from europe to argentine
were german, we think that the vanish was removed and repainted by somebody , I am sending some
pictures, look the rings symbol at the bottom seems like a borromean rings have you ever seen?.

Label:Nicolaus Amatus fecit in cremona 1645 (of course I know it is not an amati)
Lenght of back 360mm
Upper Bouts:168mm
Middle Bouts;105mm
Lower Bouts:205mm

I will very apreciate your opinion

Thank you

Gustavo

Bild
Bild
Bild
Bild

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Help to find the origins of a violin

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Buenos días Gustavo,

I'm sorry, I've never seen before this brand stamp. But I want to think about this instrument with you. I agree that this instrument must have been revarnished in the past, unfortunately!

In my opinion the arching is not typical for Saxony. But the photographs don't show the arching very well. If it was not so far to Germany I would say I must have the instrument in my fingers....

The scroll looks nice and what I can see it is not typical Saxonian. Is there the fluting all around the scroll? Even deep into the mouth?

The edge work could have been made here.

Without the original varnish and without a look inside it is hard, nearly impossible to say something about the age. I guess (!!) it must be more than 120 years old.

I also thought about the brand stamp, the borromean rings. Who had a reason to use THAT sign? So I searched for a violin maker with relation to Isola Bella, to Angera, to Arona. Or was there a maker with name Borro-xyz? (E.g. the Pollastri's used two chicken on their label.) Unfortunately I could not find such a maker. But may be this could give you a hint in your research.

I hope somebody knows more and shares his knowledge with us...

Best greetings to Argentina.

Udo
P.S. Could you send me please photographs in a higher resolution? You can find my Email address in my profile or send me a PM.

gcamps

Re: Help to find the origins of a violin

Beitrag von gcamps »

Hello Udo, Thank you very much for you response, it is very nice of you to spend time searching information for me.
I am sending an email with the same pictures but hires, at this moment the violin is at the luthier who is restoring it. I ask him to take same photos inside because it is open at this moment.
When I have it on my hands again, I am going to take some photos to show the arching.
A Mirecourt luthier tell me that it is typical cut wood of erlier mirecourt but he has never seen this rings before!!!!, but most people said that it is german!

Thank You Again and Best Wishes to Germany

Gustavo

Antworten