Jacob ???

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, STELOL

Antworten
Shallow

Jacob ???

Beitrag von Shallow »

Can anyone identify this luthier stamp? Would it be from Vogtland?

Bild

Bild

Vielen danke.

Paco.

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Jacob ???

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi Paco,

I'm absolultely not sure but could it be JACOB DIEHL or JACOB DIENL? I suggest to take a view at the brand in a ray of light or in backlight. May be you could verify my assumption.

Otherwise I ask to upload a couple of pictures of the instrument. Hope one of the guys in this forum could recognize the guitar.

BTW neither Diehl nor Dienl are typical names of Vogtland. But both are common names in Germany - e.g. Jacob Diehl was a great violin maker. He lived from 1806 til 1874 and worked in Bremen and Hamburg.

Sincerely

Udo Kretzschmann - only a violin maker ;-)

Shallow

Re: Jacob ???

Beitrag von Shallow »

Hey, That's it!!! Jacob Diehl :yahoo:

Vielen, Vielen danke. Udo!

I tried to figure out if any of these two surnames could match the letters by looking at the pictures, because the real size of this stamp is really really small. Suddenly I remembered I bought a big magnifier lens for precission work about a week ago. And now there's no doubt. I can see it clearly now with the lens. Jacob Diehl. :good:

I'm quite happy today, I bought this guitar about a year ago thinking it was built around 1910 or 1920 and continously tried to find any hint about its origin... so it's from Germany... and built before 1875! What a nice surprise.

I'll be thankful for a lifetime, Udo. Big big thanks from Spain.

Gruß.

Antworten