Bass drum pedals made in Markneukirchen circa 1890-1915

Fragen zu Tasteninstrumenten, Schlagwerk, Mechanische Spielwerke u..
Händler und Handelsfirmen

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann, Dr. Enrico Weller, Mario Weller

Antworten
MattBrennan

Bass drum pedals made in Markneukirchen circa 1890-1915

Beitrag von MattBrennan »

Please forgive this question being written in English, I cannot speak German. I am a music researcher at the University of Edinburgh, where I am currently working on the social history of the bass drum pedal.

I came across several interesting images of bass drum pedals made circa 1890-1915 and some of these are listed as being manufactured in Markneukirchen. I have also attached another similar bass drum instrument located in the Munich Museum. You can find the pictures here:

http://drumkitproject.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... -1905.html

Do you have any information on these pedals, who made them, and what sort of music they were used to play? I presume they were used to play popular dance or march music of the time, but any specific details would be greatly appreciated. If you prefer to reply in German please do so and I can ask a colleague of mine to translate into English.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Dr Matt Brennan

Heidrun Eichler
Museumsmitarbeiter

Re: Bass drum pedals made in Markneukirchen circa 1890-1915

Beitrag von Heidrun Eichler »

Hello Matt,

I don't know anything about the production of the pedals. We had drummakers here in Markneukirchen, but this is an unexplored topic. Sorry, but I can't help you.

Heidrun

MattBrennan

Thanks Heidrun. Does anyone know if there are any surviving examples of such pedals at the Markneukirchen museum, or any information about the manufacturer, Schuster & Co? And are there any collections of instrument catalogues that might contain more illustrations and information of similar pedals?

Many thanks

Matt

intune

Beitrag von intune »

hi Matt,

look at here:

http://www.gabors-drumstudio.de/Vintage%20drums.htm

the only link i know to your question.

ralph

MattBrennan

That's great, thanks to you both for your replies.

Best,

Matt

Antworten