Information on Rudolf Eras

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
Cecile

Information on Rudolf Eras

Beitrag von Cecile »

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and I am looking for information on Rudolf Eras. I saw that someone on the forum had made a reference to his name.

A few days ago I bought a viola de gamba (treble) at an auction in Paris. It is signed "Rudolf Eras" but there is no date. It is a beautiful instrument, very finely decorated and produces a beautiful sound. I had never heard of its maker and I am trying to find some information on Rudolf Eras. Could anybody tell me about him? Who he was, what he did, when and where he lived etc.? I saw on Google that the first mention of his name as an instrument-maker dates back to the 1930s but other than that I was unable to find anything about him on the internet.

Thanks for your help!

Cecile

Heidrun Eichler
Museumsmitarbeiter

Re: Information on Rudolf Eras

Beitrag von Heidrun Eichler »

Hello Cecile,

I changed your question to this forum.

Dr. Rudolf Eras war Geigenmacher (violinmaker) und Lehrer (teacher)
*16.10.1904 Hartmannsdorf
+13.4.1998 Kandern
gelernt bei (learnd by):Lippold Hammig (Markneukirchen) und Alfred Zapf (Siebenbrunn)
gearbeitet (worked by):Peter Harlan (Markneukirchen) von 1927-29

Meisterprüfung 1940 in Markneukirchen //
selbständig von 1945-1958 in Erlbach und seit 1959 in Kandern

gedruckter Zettel: Brennende Kerze auf H / RUDOLF ERAS HELL-WERKSTATT

von 1934-40 betrieb er mit Albert Lorenz die sog. ,,Hell-Werkstatt" //
studierte mit Unterbrechungen Musikwissenschaft in Freiburg und Leipzig // 1955-58 Lehrauftrag in Leipzig und promovierte zum Dr. phil.

He worked together with A. Lorenz in the workshop Hell-Werkstatt
He studied sience of music in Freiburg and Leipzig and was a teacher in Leipzig at the university.

He was also an important man for our museum. During world war II we got a new house for our exhibition (Paulus-Schlössel) and he managed the exhibtion from 1940-1942. The mayor of the town often wrote letters to the military bosses to get him free for this work.

Der Bürgermeister von Markneukirchen versuchte ihn sooft wie möglich von der Front freizustellen, damit er das Museum im Paulus-Schlössel einrichten konnte.

I hope it helps you a little.
Best regards
Heidrun

Cecile

Re: Information on Rudolf Eras

Beitrag von Cecile »

Thank you Heidrun! This makes things a little clearer.

I am trying to date my treble viol (diskant). Would you have any idea when he could have made it? Or perhaps when he was the most active at making instruments? I can send you some pictures if you like.

Cecile

Antworten