Identity of maker or workshop of fine Markneukirchen violin.

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
Martin Fox

Identity of maker or workshop of fine Markneukirchen violin.

Beitrag von Martin Fox »

Hello folks at Musikinstrumentenmuseum Markneukirchen.

Thank you for Allowing me to join this group. I have a very nice full size violin that exhibits all of the traits of fine Markneukirchen workmanship. It also sounds very nice as well.

I own and have seen many beautiful EH Roth violins and others from the 1920's and 30's but I can not identify the trade mark on this instrument.

It is a copy of Stradivarius. The label reads: "C.Sch.M." on the upper left hand corner. Below this is a picture of a sea turtle.
The label reads "Made in Germany" on the very bottom.

Below the picture of the sea turtle it says "Trademark" Any help you or other members of this forum can provide identyifying the maker or workshop where this violin was made will be very helpful. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this request.

With Best Regards,

Martin Fox USA

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Identity of maker or workshop of fine Markneukirchen violin.

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hello Martin,

Curt Georg Schuster, a dealer in instruments and especially in parts for instruments used a turtle as a trademark. So I guess C.Sch.M. stands for Curt Georg Schuster Markneukirchen. As I know right he himself was not a violin maker.

To find out which maker made this violin is simply impossible. To the begin of the 20th century there were about 300 violin makers in our little town. And the dealers forbad signing the instruments…

Could you please upload a picture of the label?

Sincerely

Udo

ccruise

Re: Identity of maker or workshop of fine Markneukirchen vio

Beitrag von ccruise »

I also just purchased a similar violin. It also has the same label visable inside the violin.

Chris

Antworten