Henrich Schonfeld Violin and EH Berlin

Moderatoren: Heidrun Eichler, Johannes Meinel, Udo Kretzschmann

Antworten
LauraHill

Henrich Schonfeld Violin and EH Berlin

Beitrag von LauraHill »

I have two antique violins from Germany that I cannot find any information about. I am in the process of completing my Ph.D in String Pedagogy at The Ohio State University in the United States. I know better than to think these instruments are priceless, but I am creating a historical project about the two.

The first one has a sticker inside that reads, "Made specially for Oswald H. Schilbach and Son, New York, NY USA by Heinr Schonfelder Marknewkirchen 1/5 copy of Ferd. Gagliano"

I know that Marknewkirchen is a city in Germany, but finding information about the luthier is a road block.

The second one has an oval sticker with Special Berlin and an EH with a swirl through it.Andrew McKinley's name and No. 6 is on another sticker inside. McKinley was a close personal friend of my family so I know about him. But the EH is a mystery.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Udo Kretzschmann
Geigenbaumeister
Re: Henrich Schonfeld Violin and EH Berlin

Beitrag von Udo Kretzschmann »

Hi Laura,

could you take please pictures of the two labels? For this I use a digital camera in macro mode with the lens directly at the f-hole with (day-) light through the other f-hole. I think one ore two fotos of the instruments will be fine too.

Do you really read "Heinr Schonfelder Marknewkirchen 1/5 copy"? "Marknewkirchen" is a funny German/English mix! The counterpart would be Marketneuchurches... :wink2:

And what is a 1/5 copy?? I know half size and quarter size violins, and - strange enough - the Suzuki 1/10 violin. But 1/5 I never heard before!

Are there two dots over the o for o-umlaut? Schönfelder is a well known name for violin making in our town, but unfortunately I don't know Heinrich Schönfelder.

To the second violin. In the moment I can't remember the logo you describe. If I only see at the initials so I find Emil Herrmann in Berlin Charlottenburg. In 1924 Emil Herrmann went to New York and founded the well known shop for musical instruments. And New York is not so far from Ohio like Markneukirchen. That's only my guess! Not an expertise!

Best greetings

Udo

LauraHill

Re: Henrich Schonfeld Violin and EH Berlin

Beitrag von LauraHill »

Hello,
1/5 means one of five instead of a fractional size. Typically luthiers will use this as a way to show how many instruments of a certain model, varnish, etc. they have made.
Thanks

Antworten